Mediterranean pan seared trout with tzatziki
In Port Said, one of Egypt’s Mediterranean cities, Samak Makli (pan-seared fish) is something of a recurring dinner in most homes. A quick weeknight dinner that she enjoyed making after long work days. We found this recipe on the internet as so often and find it appropriate to try something Mediterranean for a change.
First, the trout is spiced with a simple spice mixture of garlic powder, ground coriander, and sweet paprika; then lightly dredged in flour and pan-seared until the flesh of the trout is opaque and firm.
- 1 Tzatziki Sauce Recipe
- 16-oz baby arugula (or a mix of baby arugula and baby spinach)
- 1/2 lime, juice of
- Olive oil, keep available for later
- Salt and Pepper, keep available for later
- 1 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 2 1/2 lb trout fillet (or butterflied trout fillet as in the pictures)
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, more if needed
- Lime wedges, for serving
- Tomato wedges, for serving (optional)
- Sliced red onions, for serving (optional)
- Make the Tzatziki (Greek Yogurt Sauce) according to this recipe. Cover and refrigerate for now.
- Make the arugula salad. Place the baby arugula (or arugula and spinach mixture) in a bowl. Add the lime juice, olive oil, and season lightly with salt and pepper. Toss. Set aside.
- Make the spice mix by combining the coriander, garlic powder, sweet paprika in a small bowl.
- Now, pat the trout fillets dry. Sprinkle with salt and black pepper on both sides, then season with the spice mix also on both sides.
- Dredge the trout fillets in the flour, and shake off any excess.
- In a large cast iron skillet, heat the unsalted butter and 2 tbsp olive oil over medium-high heat. Sear the trout fillets for 3 minutes on each side (start with skin-side down, and use a spatula to very carefully flip the fish fillets over). Remove the trout fillets from the pan, then place it on a tray lined with paper towel to absorb any excess oil. Keep warm.
- Arrange the arugula salad on a platter and top with the pan-seared trout. Squeeze a little lime juice on top of the trout. Add tomato wedges and red onions to the platter, if you like.
- Suggested side dishes: Lebanese rice and this Mediterranean Chickpea and Eggplant salad.. Side dishes should be prepared before the fish.
THE Faroese salmon farming company Bakkafrost today announced lower than expected results for the final quarter of 2018, blaming ‘difficul...
SALMAR today became the latest Norwegian salmon farming company this month to deliver higher profits and earnings on the back of increased p...